Home Page

Darrick Wood Junior School

  • Google Translate
  • Google Search

Special Education Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

Darrick Wood Junior School is an inclusive school and is fully committed to ensuring that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school.


The range of support offered will be tailored to individual need following thorough assessment by internal or external agencies. It is designed to promote pupils working towards becoming independent and resilient learners.


Who should I contact to discuss the concerns or needs of my child?

Class teacher

Your child’s class teacher should always be your first point of call if you want to discuss any issues regarding your child’s learning. They will know your child best and are responsible for assessing and reviewing your child’s learning.


Your child’s class teacher is responsible for:

  • Planning, delivering and evaluating high quality teaching which is adapted to respond to the strengths and needs of all pupils in their care

  • Having high expectations for all the children in their class

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivery of any additional support.

  • Contributing to devising personalised learning plans to prioritise and focus  on the next steps required for your child to improve learning.

  • Applying the school’s SEN policy


If you have concerns about your child you should speak to your child’s class teacher first. You may then be directed to the head of year or the SENCO

Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO)

Mrs R Heath

The SENCO is responsible for:

  • Coordinating provision for children with SEND and developing the school’s SEND policy
    • Ensuring that parents are:
    • Involved in supporting their child’s learning
    • Kept informed about the range and level of support offered to their child
    • Included in reviewing how their child is doing
    • Consulted about planning successful movement (transition) to a new class or school
  • Liaising with a range of agencies outside of school who can offer advice and support to help children overcome any difficulties
  • Providing specialist advice and facilitating training to ensure that all staff are skilled and confident about meeting a range of needs.


Mr A Kilgour

The Headteacher is responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, including the provision made for pupils with SEND

SEN Governor

Mrs Clair Waite

The SEN Governor is responsible for:

  • Supporting the school to evaluate and develop the quality of provision for pupils with SEND across the school.


Working together with your child’s class teacher will often help to sort out worries or problems. The closer you work with them, the more successful any help for your child can be. Your views are important. If you are worried by something that the school is doing for your child, you should talk to your child’s class teacher first.

How can I find out about how well my child is doing?

Ongoing monitoring takes place by class teachers/form tutors to identify pupils who are not making progress or who have behaviour needs which are affecting their ability to engage in learning activities.


After discussions with key staff and parents, additional support will be put into place. This may include in class support, specific resources or equipment, targeted small group or individual support to help overcome any difficulties. Your child’s views about their support will be given consideration at this stage.


This additional support is documented in an individual provision map / Pupil Support Agreement or behaviour support plan. In consultation with the SENCO and parents, short term targets are agreed which prioritise key areas of learning or behaviour to address and by which progress can be measured. Where external agencies are involved, their advice and recommendations are included in these support programmes. Actions agreed take into account each pupil’s strengths as well as their difficulties.


In some cases teaching assistant support may be allocated. This support is deployed to ensure your child can engage in lessons and wider school activities and to facilitate independent learning to support transition to adulthood.


Formal review meetings are held at least termly. Parents, relevant external agencies and when appropriate, pupils are invited to this review and their contribution is valued. The impact of support offered is considered along with the progress towards targets set. Support arrangements will be updated and revised accordingly. If not involved already, this might include referral to external agencies. The outcomes of these meetings will be formally recorded.


If your child is continuing to have significant difficulties, further external expertise may be requested. Additional funding is available for children who meet the criteria.  This can be accessed using the Local Authority process and the guidance in the Banded Funding Criteria. Where this is agreed, a Pupil Resource Agreement will be drawn up and implemented with the school’s Educational Psychologist and other professionals where appropriate.  Further details about this process will be explained in the LA Local Offer.

How will teaching be adapted to meet the needs of my child?

Teachers are well skilled at adapting teaching to meet the diverse range of needs in each class. Daily planning takes into account individual pupil’s needs and requirements. Differentiation is approached in a range of ways to support access and ensure that all pupils can experience success and challenge in their learning.


Grouping arrangements are organised flexibly with opportunities for both ability and mixed setting to maximise learning opportunities for all.


Additional adults are used flexibly to help groups and individual pupils with a long term goal of developing independent learning skills. Monitoring takes place to avoid pupils becoming over reliant and dependent on this adult support.


Tests Examination : Access Arrangements

For some children additional arrangements and adjustments can be made to enable them to fully access a range of tests. This may include additional time, rest breaks or the use of a scribe or word processor. Your child’s class teacher or the SENCO will inform you about eligibility and applications for these arrangements. Only tests and assessors authorised by the school and recognised by the Joint Council for Qualifications (JCQ) can be accepted for access arrangements for public examinations.

Summer Term begins Tuesday 17th April